Wednesday, March 4, 2009

No tips, tricks or carrot sticks...

I've decided to take this blog on as a matter of personal interest.
I'm not a doctor, public health professional, or one of those militant anti-smoking youth group kids. To be honest, I'm a photographer and newspaper reporter who quit smoking cigarettes three years ago, though I maintain my addiction by spending about $60 a month on nicotine gum. More of a harm reduction strategy.
It's delicious! And my teeth have never been whiter.
I think a lot about nicotine. It's a substance that I, and I suspect many of you, have deeply divided feelings about.
In some ways it is my friend and constant companion. In other ways it has killed my loved ones, taken friends and enslaved me in ways I am too afraid to face. The intricacies of this irrational relationship, I think, bears examination.
Here I stand, like Golem and his ring of power — his 'precious'. Hopelessly devoted and wondering how I got here in the first place.
I won't preach to you. It never did me any good, it's lame and would be misguided coming from a clown like me.
I can only offer what I hope is an entertaining, detached view of the nicotine and 'quitter culture'.
Let's hope it's addictive.

1 comment:

  1. I, being a slave to the "tine" fit right into this "quitter culture" that you speak of. I am bombarded daily with the cons and implications my habits have on others and myself. I have even thought about e-smokes. Matter of fact, I am to begin a new regime of nicotine celibacy in little less than a week. Fiancee's orders! I say Baw-Humbug, but will abide by the rules as demanded. $%(* where are my darts?!?

    ReplyDelete